SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Iowa Wild looked like they were going to suffer a disappointing loss, trailing 1-0 entering the final two minutes against the San Diego Gulls Friday evening. However, Connor Dewar tied the score in his return to the Wild and Calen Addison delivered the game-winner 54 seconds into overtime to give Iowa a 2-1 victory. Zane McIntyre was spectacular between the pipes, making 29 saves.
This was a great duel between McIntyre and Gulls netminder Lukas Dostal, who stopped 10 shots in the first period and eight in the second to keep the Wild off the scoreboard through the first two frames. McIntyre had been brilliant as well, stopping 22 shots through the first two periods.
Brendan Guhle delivered the only blemish against McIntyre. Josh Lopina took a shot that McIntyre saved, but Guhle lifted the rebound past the Wild goaltender for his third goal of the year.
It looked like San Diego would skate away with a one-goal victory, holding the lead through the 58-minute mark, but Dewar delivered the tying goal with 1:40 left in the contest. Dewar had been up with the Minnesota Wild, but returned on Wednesday. He made his presence known, delivering his seventh goal of the season to force overtime. With McIntyre on the bench for the extra attacker, Dewar fired a slap shot from the right faceoff circle that beat Dostal.
The game went to an extra session but it did not last long. Dewar led a 2-on-1 break with Addison through the neutral zone and into the San Diego end. The Wild forward took a shot that Dostal saved, but Addison knocked in the rebound to give Iowa the victory.
McIntyre was spectacular. After giving up the first period tally, the Wild netminder shut down the Gulls, stopping 17 shots over the final two periods, finishing with 29 saves. That victory moved him to 12-9-3.
The win moved Iowa to 25-26-8, tying them with the Grand Rapids Griffins for sixth place in the Central Division with a .492 winning percentage. The Wild and Gulls square off again this evening, with puck drop scheduled for 9:00 Iowa time.
Download the Field Pass Hockey app from the iTunes or Google Play stores or follow @FieldPassHockey on Twitter for the latest news on the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL throughout the 2023 season!
- PHOTOS: Fort Wayne Komets vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 03/19/2023
- IceHogs Ready For Big Trip To Manitoba
- PHOTOS: Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs vs. Knoxville Ice Bears – 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Huntsville Havoc vs. Macon Mayhem – 03/17/2023
- PHOTOS: Iowa Heartlanders vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Maine Mariners vs. Worcester Railers 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Grand Rapids Griffins vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 03/18/2023
- Penguins Power Past Phantoms With Playoffs at Stake
- PHOTOS: Atlanta Gladiators vs. Reading Royals – 03/17/2023
- Koppanen Powers Bruins Past Thunderbirds