HERSHEY, Pa. – The Hershey Bears are looking for a new head coach after Spencer Carbery was promoted to an assistant coach with the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs. Carbery earns the promotion after being named the American Hockey League’s Coach of the Year for the shortened 2021 campaign, joining former Bears head coaches John Paddock (1987-88), Doug Gibson (1979-80), Chuck Hamilton (1975-76), and Frank Mathers (1968-69) who have won the league’s highest coaching award.
Carbery fills the vacancy left after previous Toronto assistant coach, Dave Hakstol, was promoted to the new head coaching position with the Seattle Kraken. Carbery recently completed his third season behind the Hershey bench and moves on to a crucial role in the NHL.
“The Hershey Bears want to thank Spencer Carbery for his three seasons with the club,” said vice president of hockey operations Bryan Helmer via the team’s release. “We enjoyed having Spencer and his family as members of the community, and the work that he did with our team was exceptional. He is an excellent coach who has a proven track record of winning and development, and he made our organization better in all facets during his time in Hershey. We are excited to see Spencer in the National Hockey League, and wish him and his family nothing but the best in Toronto.”
Carbery guided Hershey to a league-best 24-7-2-0 and finished among the league’s best in each of his three seasons in Hershey. The 39-year-old earned his 300th professional win on April 7 and his 100th win behind the Bears’ bench against Lehigh Valley in early May.
“My family and I are thrilled to be joining the Maple Leafs organization,” said Carbery. “I can’t wait to get started in doing everything I can to help this historic franchise.”
The move leaves Hershey without a head coach after Carbery, and his staff signed multi-year extensions following the conclusion of the season. The Bears and their NHL affiliate in Washington are now searching to find his replacement, and there will be more on their coaching situation forthcoming.
- PHOTOS: Savannah Ghost Pirates vs. South Carolina Stingrays – 12/3/2022
- Monday Monster Mash: 12/5/2022
- Springfield Thunderbirds Snap Skid, Beat Bridgeport Islanders
- Explosive Second Period Lifts Penguins Past Hershey Bears
- PHOTOS: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Jacksonville Icemen – 12/03/2022
- PHOTOS: Toledo Walleye vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 12/02/2022
- Hockey’s Future Stars on Display in Cleveland Against Rochester
- PHOTOS: Vermilion County Bobcats vs. Peoria Rivermen – 12/02/2022
- No Miracle for Thunder in Loss to Mariners
- Checkers Win in a Goal Fest to Split Series