ALLEN, Texas – The Allen Americans will be back at practice today as they prepare for their game against Wichita tomorrow night. It will be the first of three straight games against the Thunder. These three games will provide a good test for the top two teams in the Western Conference.
Both teams have something to like about the only three games they played against each other earlier this season. On New Year’s Eve, Wichita came to Allen and gave the Americans their worst defeat on the season (7-2). The teams then traveled to Wichita and the Americans won 5-1 and 4-3 in overtime. Wichita has lost four games all season with two of them coming at the hands of the Americans.
Having just completed three games in three days in Utah, and with three games in four days coming up against Wichita, coach Steve Martinson will have an easy practice today. There will be special teams work and the players that take faceoffs will have some extra faceoff practice.
Matt Register has been moving up the leader board for defensemen. He is now second in points (13), third in assists (11), second in power-play assists, first in power-play assists (6), and first in shots (45). He has a three-game point streak and has seven points (2G, 5A) in his last five games.
Braylon Shmyr is ready to be activated from the IR this week. He has been practicing with the team and could be available against Wichita.
I get asked about the roster numbers all of the time and it has been a moving target this season.
Here are where the numbers stand and should remain this way for the remainder of the season:
- The number of players that can dress for a game was 18 (16 skaters) in prior seasons but this season started with 20 (18 skaters). The number has now been reduced to 19 (17 skaters).
- There can be up to 20 players on the active roster as long as they fit under the salary cap.
- Outside of the salary cap, you can have up to four players on the reserve list.
- While the reserve players don’t count toward the salary cap they still are paid so there are budget restrictions (different for each team) in addition to salary cap restrictions.
- The final place to put players is on injured reserve (minimum 14 days).
If you add it all up the Americans could have 24 players on the roster not counting players on IR.
At the start of the 2020-21 season, each ECHL team could have a maximum of eight NHL/AHL contracted players. with three of them having to be provided to the ECHL team at no cost. That rule is no longer in effect. ECHL teams can now have an unlimited number of NHL/AHL contracted players assigned and must reimburse the NHL/AHL $525 per week for all of them.
AHL Negotiations Update
The long AHL negotiations for their return to play have concluded with the approval of a revised CBA. The first games will take place on Friday.
The Canadian Division, which was established because of the pandemic border issues, will have a delayed start as some teams await approval to play by their provincial government. No date has been given on when the division will start.
Did You Know?
Spencer Asuchak scored the ECHL’s first penalty shot goal of the season on Sunday. He is now a perfect two for two on penalty shots as a member of the Allen Americans. In his rookie season on January 24, 2014, at home against the St. Charles Chill, Spencer had a three-point game (2G, 1A) which included a penalty shot goal.
For all things Allen Americans, follow Barry Janssen on Twitter @AllenAmericans1. For the latest stats and trends in the ECHL, follow @ECHLStats. And for the latest news on your favorite AHL & ECHL team, “Like” The Sin Bin on Facebook!
- Calder Cup Playoff North Division Final Preview: Laval vs. Rochester
- Calder Cup Playoff Central Division Final Preview: Chicago vs. Milwaukee
- Calder Cup Playoff Atlantic Division Preview: Charlotte vs. Springfield
- Everblades Edge Growlers in OT Thriller
- Grizzlies Stun Walleye in Game One Overtime Victory
- Kelly Cup Playoff Western Conference Final Preview: Toledo Walleye vs. Utah Grizzlies
- Kelly Cup Playoff Eastern Conference Final Preview: Newfoundland Growlers vs. Florida Everblades
- Ghost Pirates announce Vegas as Affiliate, Bennett as Head Coach
- Mike Eaves Stepping Aside but Leaving Legacy in Cleveland
- The Holy GrAHL Podcast Episode 31: Blue People Group