BINGHAMTON, N.Y. – The Binghamton Devils opened up their free-agent signing season, bringing back a defensive player with leadership qualities, who can chip in offensively at times.
The team recently announced former Canisius College product Ryan Schmelzer would be returning to the club for his third full season in the AHL.
Schmelzer was named AHL Player of the Week winner on March 8 after a week where he posted seven points (2G, 5A). He finished the season on a five-game point streak and had 24 points (7G, 17A) on the campaign at the time of the Coronavirus stoppage.
The 26-year-old had an impressive collegiate career at Canisius College where he netted 40 goals with 66 helpers, skating away with 106 points in 144 games. He was also named the Atlantic Hockey Association’s Best Defensive Forward, to the Second All-Conference Team while also adding a regular season championship to his resume in 2016-17. In the 2017-18 season, Schmelzer was named to the Third All-Conference Team and served as the team’s captain.
He broke into the pro ranks with the ECHL’s Adirondack Thunder and was a key piece to the Thunder’s deep playoff run. In seven regular-season games, he chipped in with seven points (2G, 5A) but went on a tear in the Kelly Cup playoffs, adding 17 points (nine goals, eight assists) in 17 games as the Thunder went to the Eastern Conference Final.
At the time the season was paused and ultimately canceled due to the pandemic, Binghamton was one of the eight teams in the Eastern Conference holding onto a ticket to the Calder Cup Playoffs.
Keep track of all the signings and movement during the 2020 AHL offseason by visiting our AHL Transactions page!
You can follow Seth on Twitter for all the latest news regarding the AHL’s Binghamton Devils for the upcoming 2020 season and during the season. Don’t forget to also follow The Sin Bin on social media via Facebook and Twitter for additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
Download the Field Pass Hockey app from the iTunes or Google Play stores or follow @FieldPassHockey on Twitter for the latest news on the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL throughout the 2023 season!
- IceHogs Ready For Big Trip To Manitoba
- PHOTOS: Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs vs. Knoxville Ice Bears – 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Huntsville Havoc vs. Macon Mayhem – 03/17/2023
- PHOTOS: Iowa Heartlanders vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Maine Mariners vs. Worcester Railers 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Grand Rapids Griffins vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 03/18/2023
- Penguins Power Past Phantoms With Playoffs at Stake
- PHOTOS: Atlanta Gladiators vs. Reading Royals – 03/17/2023
- Koppanen Powers Bruins Past Thunderbirds
- PHOTOS: Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs vs. Knoxville Ice Bears – 03/17/2023