BRAMPTON, ON – After two and a half weeks, the Brampton Beast’s search for a new head coach has ended.
With former bench boss Colin Chaulk taking an assistant position with the Belleville Senators on July 1, the Beast have now filled their coaching vacancy by hiring former South Carolina Stingrays head coach Spiros Anastas. The announcement came during a press conference Wednesday morning, which also introduced Duncan Delmao as the new assistant coach alongside Anastas.
A Toronto native, Coach Anastas began his ECHL head coaching career last season with the Stingrays after four years behind the bench for the University of Lethbridge in Alberta. Anastas helped lead South Carolina to third place in the South Division with a 35-31-5-1 record, leading to a first round divisional matchup with the Orlando Solar Bears. Orlando clinched the series four games to one on April 20, with South Carolina dismissing Anastas shortly after on April 26.
Assistant Coach Delmao receives his first professional coaching job after a long-tenured playing career. His ECHL career extended from 1998 to 2006 with the Jacksonville Lizard Kings, Birmingham Bulls, Pee Dee Pride, and Roanoke Express. He’s also played professionally abroad in the EIHL (UK), Germany, and the Netherlands. All in all, Delmao totaled 391 games played in the ECHL and 189 games played in Europe.
Follow The Sin Bin for all breaking minor league hockey news!
- PHOTOS: 2022 Warrior/ECHL All-Star Classic
- PHOTOS: Atlanta Gladiators vs. Greenville Swamp Rabbits – 01/09/22
- PHOTOS: 2022 ECHL All-Star Hall of Fame Luncheon
- Stewart, Bulls Blank Havoc
- Ingram, Admirals Blank Wild
- Monsters Musings Podcast Episode #20: Marathon
- ECHL All-Stars Win 2022 All-Star Classic
- Wolves Best IceHogs in Monday Matinee
- PHOTOS: Adirondack Thunder vs Reading Royals – 1/12/22
- What’s Going On Between the Pipes in Abbotsford?