WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Washington Capitals announced they have re-signed forward Brian Pinho to a two-year deal that includes a one-way deal in the 2021-22 season. That means that, should Pinho join the Hershey Bears next season, it will be most likely his last year as a Bear.
The contract is a massive reward for a huge season for the third-year pro. In 2019-20, Pinho had a breakout season that saw him score 37 points (20 goals, 17 assists) in all 62 games for the Bears, earning the Dan Sernoffsky Memorial Award for the most improved player on the team.
Signing Pinho is a no-brainer for the Caps, as 174th overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft had a breakout season that started a little over a year ago when Washington’s prospects traveled to Nashville for a prospect tournament, carried through the preseason and throughout the regular season in Hershey.
Pinho had a strong performance in Washington’s training camp when the NHL announced its plans to play the postseason and eventually worked into the lineup for the Caps in their first-round loss to the New York Islanders.
Pinho’s breakout could be seen back as far as 2019, when he scored the series-deciding overtime goal in Game 5 to lift Hershey over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in the first round of the Calder Cup Playoff and became a huge contributor this past season. He becomes the first restricted free agent signed by the Capitals in preparation for the 2020-21 season.
Check out the rest of the AHL’s signings by visiting our Transactions Page!
Follow Corey on Twitter for all the latest news and notes regarding the AHL’s Hershey Bears! Don’t forget to also follow The Sin Bin on social media via Facebook and Twitter for additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
- Penguins Pushing For Playoff Spoiler
- Cramarossa Leads Iowa Past IceHogs In OT
- The Holy GrAHL Podcast Episode 15: Hat Tricks
- PHOTOS: Trois-Rivières Lions vs Reading Royals – 1/22/2022
- Bears Surge Past Penguins
- Inside the SPHL Podcast Episode #15: Kasey Kulczycki & All-Star Vote Reveal
- Marlies Score Late, Take OT Win From Griffins
- White Keeps Heartlanders Rolling
- Late Goal Lifts Pack Past Bears
- PHOTOS: South Carolina Stingrays vs. Jacksonville Icemen – 01/22/22