WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Washington Capitals announced that the club has re-signed defenseman Lucas Johansen to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2020-21 season.
The signing extends Johansen after the defender completed his entry-level deal at the conclusion of the 2019-20 season. The 22-year-old tallied two assists in nine games played in Hershey this past year after missing most of the campaign due to injury.
Johansen has nine goals and 34 assists in 128 regular season games with the Bears, as well as two assists in nine career playoff appearances. The former first-round pick of the Capitals in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft (28th overall) has suffered from injuries in his time with Hershey, only skating in 45 games with the Bears in 2018-19 after playing in 74 contests in his rookie season.
This contract is shaping up to be Johansen’s most important of his career, as he’ll be competing for time in Washington with several standout defenders like Alexander Alexeyev, Martin Fehervary, and Bobby Nardella who played a big role in Hershey during his absence last season.
Staying healthy will be a big part of the season for Johansen, but he joins a Hershey lineup that is slowly but surely coming together on the back end. He will be looking to prove his high selection to the Capitals and stand out on a Hershey blue line that’s still coming together. The Bears have a group that features standout players like Alexeyev, Fehervary, and Nardella, as well as returning defender Eddie Wittchow and new signings Will Graber and Macoy Erkamps.
Free agency is right around the corner, and the Bears have boasted great depth on the blue line in the event of injury. The Capitals still have the opportunity to sign restricted free agent defender Connor Hobbs and unrestricted free agent blue liners Tyler Lewington and Colby Williams.
Follow Corey on Twitter for all the latest news and notes regarding the AHL’s Hershey Bears! Don’t forget to also follow The Sin Bin on social media via Facebook and Twitter for additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
Download the Field Pass Hockey app from the iTunes or Google Play stores or follow @FieldPassHockey on Twitter for the latest news on the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL throughout the 2023 season!
- The Holy GrAHL Podcast Episode 69: Finals
- Calder Cup Finals Preview: Coachella Valley Firebirds vs. Hershey Bears
- Newly-Affiliated Gladiators Elevate Nesbitt To Head Coach, Promote Pyle
- PHOTOS: Coachella Valley Firebirds vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 06/01/2023
- Bears Blank Amerks, Advance to Calder Cup Final
- Everblades Edge Out Steelheads in Game of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- ECHL Kelly Cup Final: Idaho Steelheads vs. Florida Everblades
- Amerks Outlast Bears to Force Sixth Game
- PHOTOS: Coachella Valley Firebirds vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 05/29/2023
- PHOTOS: Idaho Steelheads vs. Toledo Walleye – 05/27/2023