WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Washington Capitals announced on Wednesday that the club has signed goaltender Zach Fucale to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2020-21 season.
Fucale, 25, has 69 games of AHL experience in St. John’s, Laval, Chicago, and Syracuse after being drafted 36th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Fucale has a cumulative goals against average of 3.09 and a 0.900 save percentage, as well as a nod as the AHL’s Player of the Week for his efforts in February 2016 with the IceCaps. Fucale won all three of his starts that week, stopping a collective 107 of 111 total shots during that span of time.
Fucale joins the Washington organization most likely headed for either Hershey or to the South Carolina Stingrays should he agree to an ECHL assignment. The goaltender has been a reliable call-up option over the course of his career, spending time in the ECHL with Brampton, Fort Wayne, and most recently in Orlando with the Solar Bears. Fucale did make an appearance in goal for St. John’s back on October 31, 2015, allowing three goals in a 4-2 loss against the Bears. Garrett Mitchell, Paul Carey, Dustin Gazley, and Liam O’Brien all scored on that night for the Bears.
The signing of Fucale helps to shore up the depth situation for the organization with the loss of Logan Thompson to free agency and the retirement of Parker Milner. Hershey signed UMD Bulldogs star goaltender Hunter Shepard to an AHL deal earlier this summer, and if the Capitals are able to retain Braden Holtby or find a suitable replacement in free agency, the organization should be once again set between the pipes for the 2020-21 season.
Adding Fucale to the mix is another stroke of genius by the Washington organization, adding a fairly experienced goaltender who should serve as a reliable option should the need arise.
- Grizzlies Offseason Starting to Heat Up
- Camp Invitee Avon Earns Flyers Contract
- Amerks Impress at Buffalo Prospects Challenge
- An Update on Several Allen Americans Storylines
- Three Periods Podcast Episode #10: ECHL Mishmash
- Looking at the Wichita Thunder’s Offseason-to-Date
- Caps Rookie Camp Features New and Familiar Faces
- Oilers Come Out of Offseason Slumber
- The Traverse City Diaries: Day Six – It’s Tricky
- Fraternizing With the Enemy: Canadiens Sign Goloubef to PTO