WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Washington Capitals moved up in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, trading their 24th and 80th overall picks to the Calgary Flames in order to obtain the 22nd overall pick, which the team used to select Hendrix Lapierre.
The Capitals moved up to select Lapierre after several teams passed on him. Lapierre has had a history of injuries, which might have contributed to him not being selecting sooner. The young forward was diagnosed with concussions three times in the early stages of last season, and the injuries were revealed to be a lingering spinal issue that had gone undiagnosed. However, he was medically cleared to play in April and had two goals and two assists in his first QMJHL game back at the end of last week.
Much like current Hershey forward and last year’s second round Capitals pick Brett Leason, Lapierre has been called by some outlets as the steal of the draft. The forward is more of a playmaker who finished as the QMJHL Offensive Rookie of the Year during the 2018-19 season with 13 goals and 32 assists, appearing in far fewer games than most of his competition due to a concussion. Lapierre has three goals and two assists in two QMJHL games so far after their 2020-21 season started this past weekend. Lapierre finished as a finalist for the Michael Bossy Trophy (along with Dawson Mercer and the number one overall pick, Alexis Lafreniere.
Lapierre is 18 and will likely come to Hershey after a couple years of seasoning in juniors (much like last season’s selection, Connor McMichael).
With the selection, the Capitals will not pick again until the fourth round (117th overall).
Follow Corey on Twitter for all the latest news and notes regarding the AHL’s Hershey Bears! Don’t forget to also follow The Sin Bin on social media via Facebook and Twitter for additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
- Penalties Overshadow Goals in Mariners’ Victory
- Carson Rose Lifts the Bulls Past the Mayhem with a Four Goal Performance
- A Tale Of Three Periods: Savannah Suffers First Shutout
- PHOTOS: South Carolina Stingrays vs. Atlanta Gladiators – 11/26/2022
- PHOTOS: Reading Royals vs. Adirondack Thunder – 11/26/2022
- PHOTOS: Peoria Rivermen vs. Quad City Storm – 11/26/2022
- Rockford IceHogs Head East For The Weekend
- PHOTOS: Evansville Thunderbolts vs. Vermilion County Bobcats -11/27/2022
- Series Preview: Charlotte Hosts Lehigh Valley in Back-to-Back
- Bears Move to First in Win Over Phantoms