READING, Pa. – The Reading Royals have re-signed defenseman Garrett Cecere to a contract for their upcoming 20th anniversary season. The West Des Moines, Iowa native now becomes the third player (Frank DiChiara and Brayden Low) to join the roster for the 2020-2021 campaign. Cecere is the first blue-line player to re-sign for Reading.
The 25-year-old Cecere is coming off his second professional season. His first was with the Maine Mariners during their inaugural season (2018-19). During that season, Cecere played in 49 games and tallied seven points (1G, 6A).
Last year, he played 24 games for Reading, scoring twice, and assisting on three. The 5-foot-9, 170-pound defenseman put up a solid plus-minus of 14 last season, putting him sixth in that category amongst his teammates. The plus-14 is a significant improvement from the -10 he had during his rookie season. The left-handed shooter finished fifth among defensemen in points (5). Cecere also only picked up 14 penalty minutes during the 24 games he took the ice last year. That is the second-fewest among Royals defensemen that logged at least 10 games.
Cecere was injured for a large portion of last season. He did not play from Nov. 15 – Jan. 31. Having to watch his team from the sidelines for 29 games still does not sit well with Cecere.
“I think I kind of had a taste in my mouth where I didn’t have the full season as I wanted to. I had a great month and a half when I came back, and I had a lot to prove to myself in that month and a half.”
Prior to reaching the ECHL, Garrett spent two years playing for Northeastern University (2016-18). He laced up his skates for 72 games and recorded all his points in the form of helpers (11). Garrett also played in 38 games (0G, 3A) for Colorado College spanning across two seasons (2014-16).
Keep track of all the signings and movement during the 2020 ECHL offseason by visiting our ECHL Transactions page!
Follow Michael on Twitter for all the latest news regarding the ECHL’s Reading Royals! Don’t forget to also follow The Sin Bin on social media via Facebook and Twitter for additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
- Thunderbirds Roll Checkers in Series Opener
- PHOTOS: Newfoundland Growlers vs. Reading Royals – 05/16/2022
- Wolves Take Game 1 With Convincing Win
- Calder Cup Playoff Pacific Final Preview: Stockton vs. Colorado
- Toledo Breaks Out with Dominant Win Over Utah
- Calder Cup Playoff North Division Final Preview: Laval vs. Rochester
- Calder Cup Playoff Central Division Final Preview: Chicago vs. Milwaukee
- Calder Cup Playoff Atlantic Division Preview: Charlotte vs. Springfield
- Everblades Edge Growlers in OT Thriller
- Grizzlies Stun Walleye in Game One Overtime Victory