WICHITA, Kan. – The ECHL kicked off their season-ending awards this afternoon with the announcement of their All-Rookie Team.
The league defines a “rookie” as a player who has played in less than 25 professional games at the “AA” level or higher prior to the start of the current season.
This year’s All-Rookie Team is as follows:
G – Evan Weninger (Wichita): 29 GP, 16-8-4-0, 2.65 GAA, .925 save percentage, 1 SO
D – Dean Stewart (Wichita): 52 GP, 6 goals, 29 assists, 35 points, +21
D – Ben Finkelstein (Greenville): 33 GP, 11 goals, 21 assists, 32 points, +12
F – Jay Dickman (Wichita): 69 GP, 19 goals, 28 assists, 47 points, +25
F – Joe Garreffa (Orlando): 56 GP, 12 goals, 28 assists, 40 points, -3
F – Matthew Boucher (Utah): 56 GP, 23 goals, 26 assists, 49 points, +5
Evan Weninger of the Wichita Thunder leads rookie goaltenders with 16 wins and a 2.65 goals-against average, which are tied for sixth and seventh overall in the league, respectively. He is second among all goaltenders with a .925 save percentage, fourth with 943 saves and eighth with 1,724 minutes played.
Ben Finkelstein of the Greenville Swamp Rabbits is tied for first among rookie defensemen with 11 goals and is second with 30 points while his 105 shots on goal are first among first-year blueliners and his three power-play goals are tied for first.
Dean Stewart of the Wichita Thunder leads rookie blueliners with 35 points and a +21 rating – which is third among all defensemen – and his six goals are fifth among rookie defensemen.
Matthew Boucher of the Utah Grizzlies leads all first-year players with 23 goals and 49 points. He is tied for fourth among rookies with 26 assists, tied for second with four power-play goals and tied for fourth with 11 power-play points.
Jay Dickman of the Wichita Thunder ranks second among ECHL rookies with 19 goals and 47 points, while his 28 assists are tied for second. Dickman’s 156 shots on goal are fourth among first-year players and he leads rookies, and is fifth overall in the league, with a +25 rating.
Joseph Garreffa of the Orlando Solar Bears is tied for second among rookies with 28 assists and tied for third with 40 points. His 112 shots on goal are eighth among first-year players and he is tied for 10th with 12 goals.
The ECHL will announce its First-Team All-ECHL and Second-Team All-ECHL teams on Thursday.
- PHOTOS: Sarah Pietrowski’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part Two)
- PHOTOS: Hector Urcia’s Best Photos of the 2021-22 Season (Part Two)
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode 34: Joel Silverberg
- Cates Brothers Looking to Take NHL By Storm
- Prospects Shine in Caps Preseason Opener
- PHOTOS: Andrew Fielder’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part Two)
- Syracuse Speaks Podcast Episode #79: All Together On This (with Jim Sarosy)
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode #33: A Chat With Craig Simchuk
- PHOTOS: Sarah Pietrowski’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part One)
- New faces joining building nucleus for Mayhem