INDIANAPOLIS – The power-play sparked an Indy Fuel goal-scoring onslaught on Saturday in Kansas City. Specifically, forward Karl El-Mir did the sparking. Along with a lethal power play set up by El-Mir, goaltender Chase Marchand had a solid night, saving 28 of 30 Kansas City shots.
The beginning of the game was a close replica to the night before in Wichita on opening night. Bobby MacIntyre scored the first goal of the game on a breakaway while Mavericks defenseman Zach Osburn was draped all over him.
Later in the period, two Mavericks penalties would lead to Fuel power-play goals. The first power-play goal came from defenseman Keoni Texeira, who led the league in power-play points (31) last year. The second power-play goal came six minutes later from El-Mir. That was the 23-year-old’s first professional goal and point in just his first professional game. The play was set up by El-Mir himself on a beautiful fake pass on the zone entry. A passing play found the stick of El-Mir, and he backhanded the puck over the shoulder of Mavericks goaltender Hayden Hawkey.
The Fuel dominated the second period, as well, with three power-play opportunities. They were unable to convert on any of the man advantages; however, they had plenty of opportunities to score on Hawkey.
Alex Krushelnyski scored the lone goal of the second period for Indy on a beautiful saucer pass feed from Mathew Thompson on a 2-on-1 rush.
Kansas City attempted to mount a third-period comeback as brothers David and Darian Dziurzynski tallied two goals within a minute of each other to cut the Fuel lead to 4-2.
However, El-Mir responded with two goals of his own on the power-play to complete the hat trick and give Indy a 6-2 lead.
- Karl El-Mir (IND – 3G)
- Bobby MacIntyre (IND – 1G, 2A)
- David Dziurzynski (KC – 1G, +1)
The Fuel continue their four-game road trip to start the season in Wheeling. They play in their first divisional game of the season against the Nailers on Saturday, October 19, at 7:05 PM ET.
- The Traverse City Diaries: Day Three – Let’s Go Stargazing
- Bears, Sgarbossa Skating to Success
- The Traverse City Diaries: Day Two – Pride and Maple Leafs
- Thunder’s All-ECHL Netminder Returns for Second Season in Air Capital
- The Ontario Reign So Far: Forwards
- Pre-Preseason Manitoba Moose Lineup Speculation
- The Traverse City Diaries: Day One- Puck Drop
- A ‘Roc’king Offseason – Amerks’ Additions
- Tim Branham Departs Utah for AHL’s Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Speaks Episode #55: Preseason News!