MACON, Ga – One thing that the Macon Mayhem roster was lacking as the season began was experience. Aside from Joseph Drapluk, Macon’s locker room was one void of extensive ice time in the SPHL.
That changed on Monday afternoon, as the team announced the return of a player who brings experience and is a familiar face to Macon fans – Caleb Cameron.
Cameron is now by far the most experienced player in the Macon locker room, having played a combined 137 games for the Mayhem from 2017-2020 to go with two brief ECHL stints with Greenville and Adirondack. His high-water mark came in 2017-18 with a 40-point season, scoring 20 goals and 20 assists while in 2018-19 he set a career-high plus-minus of 11 to with a 28-point season. In the shortened 2019-20 season, he had 26 points, 17 of them being via assist.
Cameron’s signing was officially announced late Monday, and he’ll be in the lineup for the Mayhem for Friday’s home opener against Fayetteville as Macon, 0-3 on the year, is coming off of 6-0 and 3-2 losses at Peoria last weekend.
For a team filled with players whose pro hockey experience is mostly limited to the FPHL, Cameron’s experience on and off the ice should pay huge dividends as the next most experienced player is Drapluk with 54 SPHL games played in his career. When you have so many young players, having someone who can help guide young players as they go through a season at a higher level of play is invaluable, and Cameron’s addition provides just that for Macon, in addition to giving its fan base a familiar face to cheer for after all of last year’s roster departed to either the ECHL or retired from playing the sport after last season.
Download the Field Pass Hockey app from the iTunes or Google Play stores or follow @FieldPassHockey on Twitter for the latest news on the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL throughout the 2023 season!
- The Holy GrAHL Podcast Episode 69: Finals
- Calder Cup Finals Preview: Coachella Valley Firebirds vs. Hershey Bears
- Newly-Affiliated Gladiators Elevate Nesbitt To Head Coach, Promote Pyle
- PHOTOS: Coachella Valley Firebirds vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 06/01/2023
- Bears Blank Amerks, Advance to Calder Cup Final
- Everblades Edge Out Steelheads in Game of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- ECHL Kelly Cup Final: Idaho Steelheads vs. Florida Everblades
- Amerks Outlast Bears to Force Sixth Game
- PHOTOS: Coachella Valley Firebirds vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 05/29/2023
- PHOTOS: Idaho Steelheads vs. Toledo Walleye – 05/27/2023