“Pending approval of the purchase and relocation from the American Hockey League Board of Governors, the Golden Knights AHL affiliate will play their home games during the 2020-21 AHL season at the Orleans Arena, located at the Orleans Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
“We look forward to working with our partners at Boyd Gaming to create a memorable, best-in-class fan experience in one of the leading multi-purpose sports and entertainment facilities in the nation. Additional updates regarding the Vegas Golden Knights AHL affiliate and subsequent plans will be communicated when appropriate.”
“We are excited and honored to partner with the Vegas Golden Knights in bringing AHL hockey to the Orleans Arena next season. The arrival of AHL hockey is great news for our entire community, and we look forward to helping the Golden Knights organization further expand professional hockey in southern Nevada.”
The Orleans Arena carries with it some minor league hockey history. The ECHL’s Las Vegas Wranglers were the building’s main sports tenant from their expansion season in 2003-04 until after the 2013-14 season when the team’s lease ended. The Wranglers released a statement on January 30, 2015 that they had ceased operations, unable to find a new venue to call home.
On February 6, the Golden Knights purchased an American Hockey League franchise membership from Spurs Sports & Entertainment (which currently operates the San Antonio Rampage in San Antonio, TX) and applied for relocation of the franchise to Henderson/Las Vegas, Nevada. The purchase and relocation is subject to approval from the American Hockey League Board of Governors.
- Looking at the Wichita Thunder’s Offseason-to-Date
- Caps Rookie Camp Features New and Familiar Faces
- Oilers Come Out of Offseason Slumber
- The Traverse City Diaries: Day Six – It’s Tricky
- Fraternizing With the Enemy: Canadiens Sign Goloubef to PTO
- Storylines to Look Out For at Canucks Training Camp
- New Look Wolves Aim for Central Division Repeat
- Stingrays Building Roster for 2021-22 Season
- Flyers, Rangers Prospects Trade Wins
- The Traverse City Diaries: Day Five – Consistency