HERSHEY, Pa. – The Hershey Bears signed their first player of the 2020 offseason by adding Minnesota Golden Gophers defenseman Tyler Nanne to an AHL deal for the 2020-21 season. Nanne was the captain of his Minnesota squad where he has played the last three seasons. He collected 14 points (four goals, ten assists) in 35 games for Minnesota in 2019-20. The 5’11” defender was previously drafted in the fifth round, 142nd overall by the New York Rangers in 2014.
Nanne finished with a plus-seven rating with the Gophers in his senior season, which is a career best. Minnesota’s season was cut short just before the Gophers would have been competing in the Big Ten semifinals due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, but was awarded Minnesota’s Elwin “Doc” Romnes Leadership & Sportsmanship Award. Nanne joins a Hershey blue line that is still as formidable as last year, but may see some changes coming up this season with a lot of free agent decisions looming. It will be interesting to see where Nanne starts in 2020-21.
Nanne also comes from a hockey family, with his father Marty previously playing for the Gophers. His grandfather Lou previously played for, coached, and was the general manager of the Minnesota North Stars. He is the cousin of former Gopher and current Hartford Wolf Pack forward Vinni Leteri.
Nanne had a multi-point night back on November 16 in a 6-3 loss to Penn State.
Follow Corey on Twitter for all the latest news and notes regarding the AHL’s Hershey Bears! Don’t forget to also follow The Sin Bin on social media via Facebook and Twitter for additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
- Lapierre Poised for Pro Leap in Hershey
- Allen Leaves Big Shoes to Fill in Hershey
- Is It October Yet?: Laval Rocket 2022-23 Schedule Breakdown
- Wichita Thunder in the Market for New NHL Affiliate
- Syracuse Speaks Podcast Episode #76: The 2022-23 AHL Schedule is Here!
- Thunderbirds Reveal 2022-23 Schedule
- Big Home Swing to Kick Off Gladiators 20th season
- Bears’ 85th Season Schedule Revealed
- Flyers, Phantoms Aim to Rebuild
- Fuel make First Signings of 2022-23