On this edition of the Hockey Talk Podcast, The Sin Bin’s Matthew Harding is joined by Sportscenter host and the voice of the NCAA’s Frozen Four hockey tournament, John Buccigross.
Buccigross joined the ESPN as an ESPNEWS anchor in 1996, prior to the launch of the 24-hour sports news network. He was the primary host of NHL 2Night, ESPN2’s 30-minute program dedicated to hockey highlights and news from 1998-2004. He currently serves as the play-by-play voice of the NCAA Hockey Championship (Frozen Four).
The interview covers multiple topics, including:
- John’s golf game and a tip or two
- How the Coronavirus has changed life at ESPN and what his workflow is like
- His perspective as the sports world ground to a halt on March 11 and 12
- The NHL’s “Return to Play” plan announced on May 26
- The feel and sound of hockey played in arenas with no fans, plus how it might look on television
- Feedback from executives, coaches, and players from around the league
- If the season plays out, when could the NHL return and his take on whether lower leagues should start on time
- College athletic programs (such as the University of Alabama-Huntsville hockey program) being cut as a result of a lack of funding due to COVID-19
- How sports can serve as a way to heal in the wake of the pandemic
Our thanks to ESPN PR representative, Andy Hall, for his help in setting up the interview.
Download The Sin Bin app from the iTunes or Google Play stores or follow @SinBinNews on Twitter for the latest news on the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL during this extended offseason!