GREENVILLE, S.C. – It didn’t take the Greenville Swamp Rabbits long to name their fifth head coach in the last ten seasons…four days to be exact. In a move first reported by Mark Divver, the Swamp Rabbits have named Andrew Lord their new head coach.
Lord joins the Swamp Rabbits after a very successful career with the Cardiff Devils in the Elite Ice Hockey League in Britain. In his six seasons behind the bench, the 35-year-old native of West Vancouver, British Columbia went 221-75-22 and led the Devils to nine championships; three conference titles, two Challenge Cups, two Elite League titles, and the last two playoff championships.
“It is hard to put into words the impact that Andrew Lord has had on this organization,” said Devils’ Managing Director Todd Kelman. “He brought a commitment to excellence and dedication to the job that I have never seen before because he loves the game and loves coaching. That carried over into the players and although he was a very demanding coach, he also got the most out of the guys and made them better players and better people.”
Kelman continued: ” He’s a great coach, but more than that he is a great person, a genuine big personality that we all love. He brought a passion every game and it showed in the way he played and the way he coached.”
Prior to going behind the bench, Lord spent several seasons on the ice in Cardiff. In 216 regular-season games, he posted 173 points (63G, 110A). In 10 playoff games over three seasons, he posted nine points (1G, 8A).
Lord inherits a Swamp Rabbits team that struggled defensively and lacked consistency under former head coach Kevin Kerr. In each of his two seasons behind the bench, the Swamp Rabbits allowed more than 225 goals. For the Swamp Rabbits to break into the South Division’s top two, they will have to play much tighter defensively.
“I want to see a relentless team, a hard-working team with solid structure. We’re going to be very prepared, and we’re going to play together.” Lord said. “We will close time and space without the puck, and we will play aggressive defensively.”
Lord will be making the move to the Upstate this summer. A press conference to introduce Andrew Lord as new head coach of the organization will be at a later date to be determined.
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode 34: Joel Silverberg
- Cates Brothers Looking to Take NHL By Storm
- Prospects Shine in Caps Preseason Opener
- PHOTOS: Andrew Fielder’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part Two)
- Syracuse Speaks Podcast Episode #79: All Together On This (with Jim Sarosy)
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode #33: A Chat With Craig Simchuk
- PHOTOS: Sarah Pietrowski’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part One)
- New faces joining building nucleus for Mayhem
- Newest Bears Getting Acclimated in Washington
- PHOTOS: Michael King’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season