WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – After playing in 66 Southern Professional Hockey League games the past two seasons, Dalton Mills is taking the next rung and stepping up the minor league ladder.
After centerman Cole Cassels received an AHL call-up to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on January 4, the Grizzlies needed another forward to bring Utah’s roster total back to 11. Enter Mills, whose professional career has been solely with the SPHL’s Quad City Storm up to this point. The Concordia College product netted 10 goals and helped with 17 assists the Storm’s inaugural 2018-19 season, and has compiled one goal and four assists with Quad City this year.
Anna Headley, who covers Quad City for The Sin Bin, had this to say about the left winger she’s observed firsthand.
“Mills has been a playmaker the past two seasons. While not always making his mark on the scoresheet in obvious ways, he is often helping create the scoring chances by being in the middle of the action. The Uxbridge, ON native has great speed, which makes play-making much easier for the forward and will serve him well in this call-up.”
According to Utah’s press release, Mills attended training camp with the Grizzlies and played for them in their two 2019 preseason games against the Idaho Steelheads. He will wear number 21 for Utah, and will presumably be active when the Grizzlies head to Kansas to play the Wichita Thunder on January 10.
C.C. Hawkley mainly covers the AHL’s Colorado Eagles for The Sin Bin, but also chimes in occasionally on their ECHL affiliate, the Utah Grizzlies. Follow C.C. on Twitter for his further insight on the Colorado Avalanche’s affiliate clubs!
Don’t forget to follow The Sin Bin on Twitter and Facebook for all additional AHL, ECHL, and SPHL minor league hockey coverage!
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode 34: Joel Silverberg
- Cates Brothers Looking to Take NHL By Storm
- Prospects Shine in Caps Preseason Opener
- PHOTOS: Andrew Fielder’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part Two)
- Syracuse Speaks Podcast Episode #79: All Together On This (with Jim Sarosy)
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode #33: A Chat With Craig Simchuk
- PHOTOS: Sarah Pietrowski’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part One)
- New faces joining building nucleus for Mayhem
- Newest Bears Getting Acclimated in Washington
- PHOTOS: Michael King’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season