JACKSONVILLE, Fla – On Wednesday and Friday night, the Jacksonville Icemen took on the Maine Mariners for the second & third time in four days. The two teams first matched-up on Tuesday morning for the school-day game. (Game Photos Here).
In Wednesday night’s game the Mariners took a 2-1 victory over the Icemen. The game-winning goal for the Mariners came seconds after a controversial non-tripping call by the referee against the Mariners. The Jacksonville bench was furious, with head coach Nick Luuko making his feelings known to game officials.
Friday night’s game went to overtime with the Icemen taking a 4-3 victory.
During the third period, an apparent two-goal cushion by the Mariners was overturned by goal review as goaltender interference was called, keeping the score at 3-2.
The Icemen would later equalize on a power play, sending the game to overtime.
With less than 40 seconds left on the clock in overtime, a goal by Ben Hawerchuk gave the Icemen the win. The goal was reviewed but was determined to be a good goal, a call of which Maine head coach Ben Guite protested as the players left the ice.
Check out this photo gallery from Field Pass Hockey’s Andrew Fielder for highlights from the game.
- PHOTOS: Springfield Thunderbirds vs. Chicago Wolves – 06/19/2022
- Kochetkov Blanks T-Birds, Wolves Take Series Lead
- MacArthur Named Head Coach of Thunder
- Coachella Valley Firebirds Coaching Staff Takes Shape
- Chicago Evens Calder Cup Finals With Early Onslaught
- Springfield Rallies For Game One OT Win
- 21 Impressive 2022 Calder Cup Finals Facts to Impress Your Friends
- The Holy GrAHL Podcast Episode 35: Calder Cup Finals Kickoff
- Calder Cup Finals Preview: Chicago vs. Springfield
- Springfield Advances to Calder Cup Finals