READING, Pa. – The Reading Royals and Maine Mariners opened the 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs Wednesday night.
The Royals scored the first goal of the playoffs when Kenny Hausinger lit the lamp on the power play 13:06 into the first. Brayden Low scored twice in the second frame to give the Royals a 3-0 lead.
The Royals looked to be on their way to a 3-0 win when the Mariners’ Zach Malatesta scored with the extra man to break the shutout with three minutes left in the third. Nick Master made things interesting when he scored with 45 seconds left.
The Royals were able to hold off the Mariners and run down the clock to take a 3-2 win and a 1-0 series lead.
Field Pass Hockey’s Sarah Pietrowski was there to capture the action.
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode #33: A Chat With Craig Simchuk
- PHOTOS: Sarah Pietrowski’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part One)
- New faces joining building nucleus for Mayhem
- Newest Bears Getting Acclimated in Washington
- PHOTOS: Michael King’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season
- Chicago’s Coach Sheahan Embracing Expectations With New Role
- NHL Prospect Tournament Day One: ECHL Officiating Roundup
- Signings continue as Bulls roster comes together
- Inside The SPHL Podcast Episode #32: Macon Mayhem Head Coach Nick Niedert
- PHOTOS: Hector Urcia’s Best Photos from the 2021-22 Season (Part One)