READING, Pa. – The Reading Royals and Maine Mariners opened the 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs Wednesday night.
The Royals scored the first goal of the playoffs when Kenny Hausinger lit the lamp on the power play 13:06 into the first. Brayden Low scored twice in the second frame to give the Royals a 3-0 lead.
The Royals looked to be on their way to a 3-0 win when the Mariners’ Zach Malatesta scored with the extra man to break the shutout with three minutes left in the third. Nick Master made things interesting when he scored with 45 seconds left.
The Royals were able to hold off the Mariners and run down the clock to take a 3-2 win and a 1-0 series lead.
Field Pass Hockey’s Sarah Pietrowski was there to capture the action.
Download the Field Pass Hockey app from the iTunes or Google Play stores or follow @FieldPassHockey on Twitter for the latest news on the AHL, ECHL, and SPHL throughout the 2023 season!
- PHOTOS: Fort Wayne Komets vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 03/19/2023
- IceHogs Ready For Big Trip To Manitoba
- PHOTOS: Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs vs. Knoxville Ice Bears – 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Huntsville Havoc vs. Macon Mayhem – 03/17/2023
- PHOTOS: Iowa Heartlanders vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Maine Mariners vs. Worcester Railers 03/18/2023
- PHOTOS: Grand Rapids Griffins vs. Milwaukee Admirals – 03/18/2023
- Penguins Power Past Phantoms With Playoffs at Stake
- PHOTOS: Atlanta Gladiators vs. Reading Royals – 03/17/2023
- Koppanen Powers Bruins Past Thunderbirds