READING, Pa. – The Reading Royals and Maine Mariners opened the 2022 Kelly Cup Playoffs Wednesday night.
The Royals scored the first goal of the playoffs when Kenny Hausinger lit the lamp on the power play 13:06 into the first. Brayden Low scored twice in the second frame to give the Royals a 3-0 lead.
The Royals looked to be on their way to a 3-0 win when the Mariners’ Zach Malatesta scored with the extra man to break the shutout with three minutes left in the third. Nick Master made things interesting when he scored with 45 seconds left.
The Royals were able to hold off the Mariners and run down the clock to take a 3-2 win and a 1-0 series lead.
Field Pass Hockey’s Sarah Pietrowski was there to capture the action.
- Morelli Returns to Hershey for 2022-23
- Rocket Lift Past Americans, Take Series Lead
- Flames Relocating Stockton AHL Franchise
- Johnson Edges Closer to ECHL Record in Win
- Wolves Blow Out Admirals, Take 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunderbirds Roll Checkers in Series Opener
- PHOTOS: Newfoundland Growlers vs. Reading Royals – 05/16/2022
- Wolves Take Game 1 With Convincing Win
- Calder Cup Playoff Pacific Final Preview: Stockton vs. Colorado
- Toledo Breaks Out with Dominant Win Over Utah