WICHITA, Kan. – Welcome to our daily breakdown of the race to the 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs! Each game day for the remainder of the ECHL season, we will have an analysis of how the races stack up.
This season, thanks to the imbalance of games, the league is doing things differently, with points percentage being used to award playoff positions.
With the playoffs fast approaching the questions of tiebreakers always comes up and even more so this season when playoff positions are decided by points percentage, not points. Here are the eight tiebreakers the ECHL will use in 2020-21:
1. The higher percentage of regulation wins (regulation wins/total games played)
2. The higher percentage of regulation and overtime wins (excluding games won in the Shootout) (regulation + OT wins/total games played)
3. The greater differential between goals scored for and against by Members having equal standing under priority (1)
4. The higher number of points earned in games against each other among two Members having equal standing under priorities (1) and (2)
5. The higher winning percentage earned in games within the Members Conference (only applicable if tied Members are from the same conference)
6. The higher number of goals scored during the Regular Season
7. The lowest number of goals against during the Regular Season
8. Coin toss
There’s a full slate of games on tap tonight, so let’s get going.
Here is how the standings stack up at the beginning of play tonight:
The Everblades can become the first Eastern Conference team to punch their playoff ticket with:
- A win OR a loss in overtime/shootout
Here is how the standings stack up at the beginning of play tonight. Wichita is the only team in the conference to clinch a playoff berth.
Fort Wayne can clinch a playoff berth tonight if:
- They win + Rapid City loses in regulation
Allen can claim a playoff spot tonight if:
- They win + Rapid City loses OR
- Allen loses in overtime/shootout and Rapid City loses in regulation
Here’s what the Kelly Cup Playoff bracket looks like at the start of play today:
Teams With Best Record in Last 10 Games:
Greenville Swamp Rabbits: 8-2-1-0
Utah Grizzlies: 8-2-0-0
Allen Americans: 6-4-0-0
Fort Wayne Komets: 6-4-0-0
Does Clinching a Playoff Berth First Mean a Long Playoff Run?
The Wichita Thunder became the first ECHL team to clinch a playoff berth on May 16, despite not playing their Sunday matinee against the Rapid City Rush due to ice issues. As we have seen in the last several years, clinching first does not equate to a deep playoff run, with only two teams making it to the Kelly Cup Finals:
|2008||Texas Wildcatters||Lost in South Div. Finals|
|2009||Florida Everblades||Lost in South Div. Finals|
|2010||Idaho Steelheads||Lost in Kelly Cup Finals|
|2011||Las Vegas Wranglers||Lost in West Conf QF|
|2012||Alaska Aces||Lost in West Conf Finals|
|2013||Ontario Reign||Lost in West Conf Semis|
|2014||Reading Royals||Lost in East Conf QF|
Fort Wayne Komets
|TOL lost in East Conf Finals
FW lost in North Div Finals
|2016||Missouri Mavericks||Lost in Central Div Finals|
|2017||Toledo Walleye||Lost in Western Conf Finals|
|2018||Florida Everblades||Lost in Kelly Cup Finals|
|2019||Cincinnati Cyclones||Lost in Central Div Finals|
|2020||South Carolina Stingrays||SEASON CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC|
Race for the Brabham Cup
The race for the Brabham Cup, and home-ice throughout the 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs, is a four-horse race between the Florida Everblades, Wichita Thunder, Fort Wayne Komets, and Allen Americans, who are separated by 0.31 percentage points in the standings.
Looking back to 2006-07, the winners of the Brabham Cup have gone on to win the Kelly Cup three times.
|2006-07||Las Vegas Wranglers||Lost in Conference Semis to Idaho|
|2007-08||Cincinnati Cyclones||WON KELLY CUP|
|2008-09||Florida Everblades||Lost in South Division Finals to SC|
|2009-10||Idaho Steelheads||Lost in Kelly Cup Finals to Cincinnati|
|2010-11||Alaska Aces||WON KELLY CUP|
|2011-12||Alaska Aces||Lost in Conference Finals to Las Vegas|
|2012-13||Alaska Aces||Lost in Conference Semis to Stockton|
|2013-14||Alaska Aces||WON KELLY CUP|
|2014-15||Toledo Walleye||Lost in Conference Finals to SC|
|2015-16||Missouri Mavericks||Lost in Conference Semis to Allen|
|2016-17||Toledo Walleye||Lost in Conference Finals to Colorado|
|2017-18||Florida Everblades||Lost in Kelly Cup Finals to Colorado|
|2018-19||Cincinnati Cyclones||Lost in Central Division Final to Toledo|
|2019-20||NO WINNER||SEASON CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC|
Stay with The Sin Bin as we chronicle the race to the 2021 Kelly Cup Playoffs!
- Tim Branham Departs Utah for AHL’s Colorado Eagles
- Syracuse Speaks Episode #55: Preseason News!
- Top Draft Picks Battle in Keystone State Showdown
- Snively Brings Important Skill to Hershey
- Marlies & Growlers Sign Nine
- Three Periods Podcast Episode #9: Chattin’ with the Commish
- 2021 Field Pass Hockey Fan Survey
- Malenstyn Eyes Key Season in Return From Injury
- Quad City Storm Racking Up New Additions
- Crunch Announces Fan Admittance Policies for 2021-22