ORLANDO, Fla. – After miraculously overcoming a three-goal deficit the previous evening, the Jacksonville Icemen took the Orlando Solar Bears to a thrilling overtime.
Jared VanWormer, recently acquired by Jacksonville from the 5-0 Allen Americans, opened up the scoring of Tuesday night’s matchup, potting his second goal of the season on a power play tally at 9:03. However, just under three minutes later, J.J. Piccinich knotted things up with his first of the year. Despite Solar Bears goaltender Clint Windsor seeing a great deal of action during the opening half of the period, Orlando edged Jacksonville in shots in the period by a total of 15-9.
After twelve minutes of an empty box score for the second frame, Tyler Bird helped the Solar Bears take the lead, with his first of the season at 7:25.
After some contention at 13:08 in the final period, referee Andrew Wilk signaled that Ara Nazarian did indeed score legally, resulting in a tie game at two goals each.
During overtime, Jacksonville had the Solar Bears under total control, holding them to just two shots. However, it was Orlando’s Tristan Langan that scored the game-winning goal at 5:49 of the extra frame, sending the COVID-capacity crowd home smiling with a Solar Bears victory by a final score of 4-3.
The Icemen converted on one of their two power play opportunities, while Orlando failed on their own duo of chances. They also held a narrow edge in shots with a 35-34 lead. Orlando players earned the honors of all three stars, with goal-scorers Bird and Langan receiving third and second, respectively, and Clint Windsor coming out on top.
The 3-1 Solar Bears will be back in action at home Wednesday night against the Florida Everblades, who bested them in their only matchup so far this season. Puck drop is at 7:00 pm EST.
- PHOTOS: Savannah Ghost Pirates vs. South Carolina Stingrays – 12/3/2022
- Monday Monster Mash: 12/5/2022
- Springfield Thunderbirds Snap Skid, Beat Bridgeport Islanders
- Explosive Second Period Lifts Penguins Past Hershey Bears
- PHOTOS: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Jacksonville Icemen – 12/03/2022
- PHOTOS: Toledo Walleye vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 12/02/2022
- Hockey’s Future Stars on Display in Cleveland Against Rochester
- PHOTOS: Vermilion County Bobcats vs. Peoria Rivermen – 12/02/2022
- No Miracle for Thunder in Loss to Mariners
- Checkers Win in a Goal Fest to Split Series