BOISE, Idaho – The Idaho Steelheads, proud ECHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars, have acquired the ECHL rights to forward Marc-Olivier Roy from the Fort Wayne Komets to complete the future considerations portion of the trade in October that brought Jeff King to Idaho for the rights to Justin Kea, Steelheads Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations Neil Graham announced Thursday.
Roy, 24, played 29 games with the Komets in 2018-19, tallying 12 goals and 14 assists for 26 points with two power play goals while also earning points in 20 of those 29 games. The Boisbriand, Que. native also appeared in 22 games with the Chicago Wolves (AHL) and Laval Rocket (AHL) with two points, and he has made AHL stints in all four professional years of his career. In 89 career ECHL games between Fort Wayne, Alaska and Norfolk, he owns 31 goals and 50 assists for 81 points with eight power play goals since making his ECHL debut on Oct. 16, 2015.
“We are extremely excited to announce the acquisition of Marco Roy,” said Graham. “He has all the attributes we look for in our players. He will add speed, skill and leadership to our team and expect him to be a big part of our offense.”
Komets beat writer Justin Cohn of the Fort Wayne Journal-Gazette commented on Roy’s postseason toughness and offensive contributions:
“He’s a very skilled two-way forward who made his bones in the 2018 playoffs, playing through myriad injuries and blocking a ton of shots. But, he’s also got the offensive playmaking ability to be a top-line forward, hence all the time he’s spent in the AHL.”
Prior to his professional career, the 6-foot, 183-pound forward played five seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), totaling 86 goals and 106 assists for 192 points through 229 games between Quebec, Blainville-Boisbriand and Montreal. Roy was selected 56th overall (2nd Round) by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2013 NHL Draft.
- Johnson Edges Closer to ECHL Record in Win
- Wolves Blow Out Admirals, Take 2-0 Series Lead
- Thunderbirds Roll Checkers in Series Opener
- PHOTOS: Newfoundland Growlers vs. Reading Royals – 05/16/2022
- Wolves Take Game 1 With Convincing Win
- Calder Cup Playoff Pacific Final Preview: Stockton vs. Colorado
- Toledo Breaks Out with Dominant Win Over Utah
- Calder Cup Playoff North Division Final Preview: Laval vs. Rochester
- Calder Cup Playoff Central Division Final Preview: Chicago vs. Milwaukee
- Calder Cup Playoff Atlantic Division Preview: Charlotte vs. Springfield