The Holy GrAHL Podcast Episode 38: Hot Starts, Fate, and Mayonnaise
What a chaotic opening weekend for the 2022-23 American Hockey League season. From power outages to incredibly hot starts by rookies, there was plenty of action, and we talk about it all in episode 38 of The Holy GrAHL podcast. Join hosts Jeremy Paul, Zack Power, Andrew Rinaldi, Corey Swartz, and Deana Weinheimer as they present an equally chaotic show. What do fate and mayonnaise have to do with this episode? That’s the burning question.
First, we have to discuss the power outage that interrupted the home opener for the Utica Comets and the visiting Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. Corey gives you all the details of the postponed restart.
In news of the week, we celebrate Austin Czarnik‘s American Hockey League Player of the Week nod and discuss the first suspension of the season, which was handed out to Mitchell Stephens. Finally, we highlight some franchise firsts as the Calgary Wranglers and Coachella Valley Firebirds played their first game (and scored the first goals) in their franchise history.
After a round of Swipe Left/Swipe Right involving goalie fights, mascots, and reminiscing about a particular fascinating day in AHL app lore, it’s time for some AHL fantasy hockey.
Using a random wheel generator and some helpful advice from their co-hosts, each host picked their starting lineup in a segment we call the Wheel of Fate.
To wrap up the show, the guys highlight the divisional standings after opening weekend and make their pick for the game of the week.
Jeremy takes us home in the mascot-inspired bonus round.
The Holy GrAHL, Field Pass Hockey’s flagship American Hockey League Podcast. Each week, we look into the biggest stories out of the AHL, its players, and their teams.
- Rolling Thunder Podcast Episode #4: Weiny’s Way
- PHOTOS: Savannah Ghost Pirates vs. South Carolina Stingrays – 12/3/2022
- Monday Monster Mash: 12/5/2022
- Springfield Thunderbirds Snap Skid, Beat Bridgeport Islanders
- Explosive Second Period Lifts Penguins Past Hershey Bears
- PHOTOS: Orlando Solar Bears vs. Jacksonville Icemen – 12/03/2022
- PHOTOS: Toledo Walleye vs. Cincinnati Cyclones – 12/02/2022
- Hockey’s Future Stars on Display in Cleveland Against Rochester
- PHOTOS: Vermilion County Bobcats vs. Peoria Rivermen – 12/02/2022
- No Miracle for Thunder in Loss to Mariners